Under this ticket, we should document how users can configure the Olson/IANA timezone database (https://www.iana.org/time-zones) which the aggregation framework will use for time zone calculations. The details are described in the "Olson Timezone DB Management" section of the design document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I_x4NNWgfcXzmEFTPTYZkjIQVq_JUnZcxb5ak0o52oU/edit#heading=h.pwlnl94kk4xq.
I will try to summarize some of the most important points that need to be documented here:
- There is an embedded version of the Olson database that will be used automatically, but this will be updated infrequently (e.g. once per major release).
- We have added a new "processManagement.timeZoneInfo" config file parameter and "--timeZoneInfo" command line parameter. This can be used to override the builtin copy of the Olson database by pointing at a directory containing the tz db files.
- Linux packages have been updated to set this parameter automatically to point at the system installation of the Olson database. This is to be documented under
SERVER-29822. Such users can upgrade their Olson database simply by upgrading their system's version of the time zone db.
- For users that may not have a system copy of the Olson database, in particular Windows users, we provide a stable download link for the latest version of the database: https://downloads.mongodb.org/olson_tz_db/timezonedb-latest.zip. Details about how to use this archive are present in the design document.
Please send the CR to David Storch and Nicholas Zolnierz, and let me know if you have any questions!
We will need to add a task that will:
- Pull the most recent version of the Olsen time zone database
- Transform that data into the directory structure MongoDB/timelib expects
- Upload it to a place users can download it from
- Add commits to MongoDB branches that support time zone information to update the built-in timezone rules.