To help users respond to an "Invalid IP address in CIDR string" message, we could provide some guidance about what to look for. Somewhere the user has provided an invalid IP address. A few considerations:
- It is not feasible for us document all the ways an IP address can be "wrong"
- Linking directly to RFCs that specify IPs isn't very friendly/
We do document some relevant IP address information in our meta-documentation here. However:
- The audience for meta-documentation is not MongoDB users/customers.
- As the warnings on that page make clear, we should not accidentally suggest specific configuration values to users
This goal of this ticket should be to:
1) Craft something like the referenced meta-documentation page, which links to RFCs while also providing some examples/guidance
2) Identify where to best place this in our product documentation
3) Reference that page from documentation for parameters and config that accept IP addresses
Once this is complete, it would be feasible to include the produced docs in error messages or support communications.