Priority: Major - P3
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Sprint:Execution Team 2021-09-06, Execution Team 2021-09-20, Execution Team 2021-10-04
There is a long-standing request (SERVER-701) about the lack of capability to rename databases.
Now when we are rid of MMAPv1 it might be possible to support database renaming in some circumstances. We should investigate the effort needed to support it.
Going to need a new command and oplog entry to perform the database rename.
- What kind of locking do we need to do? Global exclusive or exclusive database? Global IX?
- What restrictions must we have? Probably no directoryperdb.
- How would it impact replication rollback?
- How would it impact sharding?
- How would it impact encryption at rest?
- How to relax constraints for initial sync/applyOps (e.g: MongoMirror)