WT-4535 certain commands inside of the wt utility command started specifying read-only mode always. There has been a lot of fallout from that change in WT-5100 and WT-5102. That fallout comes in the form of an assertion failure and dropping core.
Today I did a simple run of:
and got the above failure. That is on a cleanly shutdown database that did not require recovery either. The above set of commands are a common usage for me.
I think we need to revisit the changes from
- Normal usage should not drop core.
- Normal usage should work.
- Normal usage should not require any manual file manipulation nor intermediary steps.
- Normal usage should not require any knowledge of how the database was created by some program.
- Read-only should be an explicit request, not something assumed under the covers.
- There are too many implicit things that happen under the covers (like stats, log files, basecfg, etc) for the wt command to assume read-only is always correct.