Priority: Major - P3
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: Backlog
Sprint:Storage - Ra 2021-11-29
No different to how we enforce styling over our C sources, we should additionally be ensuring our CMake sources meet an expected format. As we continue modifying and updating our CMake list files we should enforce a format over the build sources such that they adhere to a specific style. This ultimately ensuring our CMake sources stay maintainable & readable.
This ticket will introduce a new dist script (that can be run under dist/s_all), to parse our CMake list files and format them nicely. This in turn ensures future changes to our CMake files will be appropriately styled and checked on PR's.
Definition of Done:
- Determine a tool we can use to format CMake sources.
- There are a couple of open-source tools we can use. A popular/suggested one is: cmake-format (Unfortunately there is nothing official from KitWare yet).
- Define a style configuration. Depending on the chosen tool, it will be typically be a configuration file encoding our CMake style preferences
- Important to collaborate on these definitions (could be with those listed in the "Collaborators" section of this ticket.
- Implement a 'dist' script that invokes the CMake format tool. This script in turn will be invoked by the 'dist/s_all' script (to ensure its run on future PR's and changes)
- Perform an initial format of the CMake sources such that it meets our newly defined styling configuration.